Former Teen Idol Leif Garrett Gives Justin Bieber Advice on Love, Fame & Drugs

Leif Garrett and Justin Bieber justinbieberzone.com

The former pop star Leif Garrett had a few words for Justin Bieber in an interview with FOX411 published Monday.

Garrett was the biggest teen idol on the planet in the 1970s before the darker side of fame grabbed hold of him. For years, he battled with intense drug addiction. Now Garrett, 51, is able to reflect on how his stardom and advise Justin how not to follow in his footsteps.

Via FOX.

FOX411: What advice do you have for Justin Bieber?

Garrett: Do not believe your own publicity. Sussing out who your real friends are is full-time work. Every scum bag, every drug dealer, every chicken hawk wants a piece of you.

FOX411: Do you notice similarities between Bieber and yourself when you were his age?

Garrett: I don’t know. I mean our circumstances are quite different. This is something he really wanted to do and he achieved it. I was in acting. When you’ve got that sort of power at that young age, and everything at your doorstep, you put out that bad boy image. At that age, testosterone, hormones, all of the money, you see what else you can get away with. He’s also doing a lot of charity work.

Leif Garret - then and now before after

In Love: Leif Garret & Nicollette Sheridan (left), Leif Garret today (right)

FOX411: What’s the craziest thing you ever did or bought as a kid with unlimited money and power?

Garrett: Too many to speak of. I did plenty of crazy stuff, but I did a lot of charity stuff. You can’t stop. You want to continue to taste, and sometimes that’s crazy, stupid things. The craziest good thing I did was fly Nicolette Sheridan to New Zealand and bought a diamond. We were toasting her being there with champagne. I dropped the diamond into her glass and she almost swallowed the diamond.

FOX411: Do you and Nicollette Sheridan keep in touch still?
Garrett: We don’t talk that often as we used to. We’ll always be connected.

FOX411: Are there parallels between your past relationship with Nicolette to the on-again/off-again relationship with Justin and Selena Gomez?

Garrett: I did notice. He (Justin) rented out the Staple Center for her. Fame, money is what tore us apart. Nicolette just started modeling. My career was pretty much there. We would get along great or clear rooms. That’s the whole thing with Justin and me. There was no in between…really good or really naughty.

FOX411: What do you attribute to your downward spiral at the peak of your fame?

Garrett: The hardest thing was the music I was doing. I had no control of the music. They wanted me to continue doing teen idol stuff. I’m really into music and a new wave was happening. The average lifespan of a teen idol is five years. You have to change musically. Bubble gum pop was good for the first time you have sex. They didn’t want to give the OK on some really good music. It was the frustration of being signed to that label. I was depressed. My heroes and A&R guys on the bus were doing drugs so I was doing drugs.

21 thoughts on “Former Teen Idol Leif Garrett Gives Justin Bieber Advice on Love, Fame & Drugs

1. biebergirl

Hopefully Justin won’t grow up bad but it’s good that experienced people are giving him advice. Believer forever <3

1. Swagalicious

yeah no body is perfect and with all this advice Justin will stop with his fake friends power to the BELIEBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

1. Kalani

I hope justin has his true friends with him that he grew up with. Besides didnt justin say he only has four friends that he considered true friends. And not the one that only uses him for money. Besides doesn’t his friends have money since they are rappers like Lil Twist. He’s well a train wreck.

2. Nicki

Agree! At least he is giving him advice so that Justin won’t grow up and become a bad boy. But Justin is not no near a bad boy. He Justin need to pick good friends. Don’t really think about being in a relationship like Garrett said. I love you Justin

1. Kalani

I agree I hope justin takes his advice. He does have usher has his mentor. Usher went through what justin is going through. With all the chaos and people pulling him into different directions. Just hope Scooter looks out for justin.

Leif Garret started very young as a tv show performer, entered a singing career in the 70’s but it did not last long because of drug use like heroin. He, David cassidy, and Donnie Osmond were the top teen idols around that time. Garret, however, did not have the music accomplishments of Justin not did he last as long as Justin has in the teen idol dept. He does offer good advice that applies not only to Justin but any potential teen idol today like Austine Mahone, Cody Simpson, and others.

4. sisymay

I have never commented on this site before. Just wanted to say thanks so much for not dissing Leif. He has had a really, REALLY hard life and everyone knocks him down. He really has talent and no one gives him a chance. He was an idol after Donny Osmond and david Cassidy. About 5 yrs after them. He lasted about 5 yrs, just like he said. If he had not had that car accident and paralyzed his best friend for life, I believe his career would have lasted another 5 yrs.
    The reason Justin is more accomplished in the music area than Leif is because of the internet. Back then, there was no knowing what they were doing every second of the day. There was no fans all over the world being able to connect in a second. There was no publicity tearing them apart like they do today.
    I was there, and I know if there was internet back then, Leif would be as big if not bigger than Justin. Also, parents didn’t cater to every whim of their kids and buy everything under the sun of their teen idol and spoil them. It wasn’t like that back then.

One thing to keep in mind is that the internet has also made possible false and exaggerated stories to be said about teen idols like Justin with the hate that goes with it. Fortunately, Lief did not live at a time when there was an internet. People were as vicious as they are now. Lief today would have been subjected to the same hatred directed to Justin today by TMZ and others. Justin Timberlake as a teen idol received snide and nasty remarks; called gay, girly, girly voice, etc. I have seen the comments.

I liked Lief Garret, he was and is a nice guy. However, why is the media so interested in in who gives Justin advice? Every day someone is making a comment on what he should do as if he were 10 years old and living a bad life on drugs or alcohol, hanging out with the wrong crowd, spitting on fans, pissing in buckets, fighting in clubs. I wish it would stop already and talk about the good things he does.

6. kelly

Ewwwwwww he went from hot to ugly omb unacceptable (that man) …. Justin will never go that far he have support from the people around him he have awesome mentor and a great manger with lots of supports. I hate when ex idols or w/e want to compare their lives to, todays idols like stfu you did wrong and had something in common with him that doesn’t mean you need to inform him like I’m sure he know right from wrong..

7. London

He looks gay -___- but anyways I hate when older celebrities try to compare themselves and what they did wrong to, todays stars like its not our fault YOU chose the path of drugs. And don’t everyone think the same. Its a lot of successful bad boy celebrities out today that is actually going through what he went through. So why did he feel the need to include justin. Lots of celebrities brokeup because their career or fame like dude ….. →→→→→→→→→→ No just stop